Tabi-tabi po. Netflix is continuing its big moves on widening its variety of content––especially in anima. With great recent acquisitions like Castlevania and Yasuke, they’ve put themselves in a situation where they can take a short breather. But no, they’re pushing for more––and they’re continuing the streak with Trese. Castlevania just finished and if you’re craving for more mystic activities and anime blood, then this is an anime you’re going to have to look forward to. Here’s everything you need to know about the anime series!
What is Trese all about?
Based on Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldisimo’s 2005 horror comic, Trese revolves around the creatures that hail from the urban myths of the Philippines. Just like any fantasy horror series, the protagonist, Alexandra Trese, is an expert on supernatural crimes. Coincidentally, there is plenty to investigate in her home city of Manila. Alexandra, alongside her twin bodyguards and the members of the Manila police, will be facing a hoard of monsters and myths with their own selfish requests to fight for. According to the trailer, there are the likes of the “Nuno,” short for “ninuno” which means ancestral spirits in Filipino, to guide Alexandra in her journey and serve as one of the main urban myths of the anime.
You fear them. They fear her. Based on the award-winning Filipino comic book series, TRESE is coming to Netflix on June 11. pic.twitter.com/8ncmut38KO
— Netflix Geeked (@NetflixGeeked) May 21, 2021
In the Philippines, Trese has always been renowned and well-talked about. In fact, it was even nominated and won several awards during the 2010s. It was also awarded the National Book Award’s Best Anthology in English. For the past few years, there have been quite a number of attempts to bring life to the title. However, in 2018, Netflix came swooping in and handled the situation––ultimately announcing that the streaming giant will be giving the comics the animation and life it deserves.
Who are attached to Trese?
Obviously, the anime’s original voice cast will be bombarded by Filipino actors like:
- Liza Soberano as Alexandra Trese
- Simon dela Cruz as The Kambal (The Twins; Crispin and Basilio)
- Apollo Abraham as Captain Guerrero
- Christopher Carlo Caling as Hank
- Eugene Adalia as Anton Trese
- Cheska Aguiluz as Miranda Trese
- Christian Velarde as Nuno
- Bryan Encarnacion as Datu Talagbusao
- Nica Rojo as Ramona
- Jo Anne Orobia-Chua as Emissary
- Jose Amado Santiago as Marco
- Steve dela Cruz as Maliksi
- Rene tandoc as Mayor Santamaria
- Steffi Graf Bontogon-Mola as Young Alexandra Trese
- RJ Celdran as Santelmo
Since it’s on Netflix, they’ll have to have a full English cast––and boy does this cast hit heavy.
- Shay Mitchell as Alexandra Trese
- Griffin Puatu as The Kambal (The Twins; Crispin and Basilio)
- Matt Yang King as Captain Guerrero, Dominic
- Jon Jon Briones as Hank, Xa-Mul
- Steve Blum as Datu Talabusao, Ibwa
- Carlos Alazraqui as Anton Trese, Santelmo
- Manny Jacinto as Maliksi
- Eric Bauza as Nuno the Snith, Bagyon Lektro
- Darren Criss as Marco
- Nicole Scherzinger as Miranda Trese
- Lou Diamond Philips as Mayor Sancho Santamaria
- Dante Basco as Bagyon Kulimlim
- Rodney To as Aswang market guard
When is the release date of Trese on Netflix?
Trese will be premiering on the streaming giant on the 11th of June, 2021. Watch the trailer below!